Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Phone Call with Earth - Part 1

It has been a daily ritual to call home everyday and speak to Mumma. So today when I finished speaking to my mother and giving her a detailed description of my food and obviously "doodh", I decided to call up Earth. Yes, I called up mother Earth today. I wonder why I did, because turned out to be quite a rocky call.
I dialed the number, and the caller tune was the sound of a storm with rain splashing and wind making spooky noises all over.
A breathless lady, coughing loudly answered the call.
"Yes, what do you want" she asked. The voice was stiff and old.
"Gunja here. Hope you doing good", I said.
E: "Why? How does it matter how I am. You know, I am old and weak. I have served you and your ancestors since time immemorial. But, now my end seems near".
Me: "Don't say so. We all love you."
E: "Don't try to charm me girl. You just depleted me of some fresh water when you used the restroom. Can't you reuse water"
I apologized profusely.
Me: "Did you finish dinner?", food always works in conversations that get uncomfortable.
E: "Yes, loads of it. All the insecticides and medicines, and no fresh manure. It smells disgusting. It sucks my nutrition and that is why I can't even serve you good food. I need a break I feel. A break from all the digging and toiling.
Me: "Hmm.."
E: "I wouldn't mind being farmed on, I still have truck loads of minerals and metals. But, why suffocate me with concrete. You know when you put concrete on me, I get suffocated as my breathing pores get blocked. I am not able to breathe well since a few decades now. And if I cannot breathe, I will not be able to carry on for long."
Me: "Anything I can do Mother?"
E: "You are a spec in this planet. But, if you post on FB, may be.."
Me: "Please tell me, Mother. I will surely post it on FB and twitter as well."
E: " Can you ensure you don't change your phone for next 3 years"
Me: "Why??", I was not very polite, obviously.
E: "See, you can't. The silicon is getting over within me and piling over me. If I load plates of food on your table but don't allow you to eat any, how long will you survive?"
Me: "Hmm..and?"
E: "Stop buying so many bottles. I feel like a dustbin, and how much you guys waste? Why use if not required? Can't you just stop throwing away stuff? Your cousins at US throw much more but then they don't multiply as much. Am sick of your country"
Me: "Am sorry"
E: "Don't be", she was strict this time.
Me: "Uuuuu.."
E: "Look am very upset with the way you guys have been behaving. Just no respect for elders like me or rivers or hills. Make a mess wherever you go. Who do you think you are? If the rivers dry or hills erode, I will see how you make all tall buildings. And what is this with layers of packaging even on a candy. Gone off your head?? Anyways, I will let you know so that you can let others know that what happened at Kedarnath was a snapshot. Behave, else I will punish you all.
Me: "Urrr.."
E: "Okay, I will hang up now. Got to see what your friends at Japan are upto"
Click.
She hung up.
Mother Earth, spare us of your fury and wrath.
Next phonecall when I am dying of the chilly winter..I sincerely hope not.

No comments: